Andrew Tower has more than twenty-two years of experience as a litigator, primarily working on intellectual property and other complex litigation. Representing plaintiffs, Mr. Tower has successfully litigated numerous intellectual property and complex business disputes, obtaining multi-million dollar awards through jury verdict, bench trial, settlement and arbitration. Representing defendants, he has obtained take-nothing judgments against multi-million dollar claims, through both jury verdict and summary judgment. Prior to joining CEPIP, he was a partner at Howrey LLP, one of the largest intellectual property firms in the world. He has litigated intellectual property cases in courts throughout the country, including in the Eastern and Southern Districts of Texas. Mr. Tower also has significant experience with handling commercial litigation and patent post-grant/inter-partes review actions before the Patent Trials and Appeals Board.
Mr. Tower has represented clients in disputes involving a wide range of technologies, including telecommunications, computer systems, software, power filtration, consumer electronics, optical disk drives, oilfield equipment and technology, petrochemical processing, industrial valves, transportation, textiles and genetically-modified plants. He has also represented clients in arbitrations and state court actions, and before the United States Patent and Trademark Office.
Mr. Tower also counsels clients regarding business transactional matters, intellectual property strategies, asset management and licensing. Mr. Tower has also served as an expert witness in intellectual property matters.
Prior to practicing law, Mr. Tower worked as a mechanical engineer for a division of Baker Hughes.
- Won seven-figure jury verdict plus attorney’s fees in patent litigation involving computer technology.
- Won damages on counterclaims and obtained a take-nothing judgment against plaintiff after jury trial in action seeking award of patents and damages for trade secret misappropriation and tortuous interference involving valve technology.
- Obtained summary judgment dismissing case and denial of injunction for chemical/textile manufacturer in suit alleging breach of patent license and consent decree.
- Obtained summary judgment dismissing case for major automaker in patent litigation in Eastern District of Texas and Central District of California involving interactive voice response systems for customer service call centers. This case was part of the largest multi-defendant patent litigation in history.
- Obtained favorable settlements for major airline, financial services company and bank in multi-district patent litigation.
- Obtained favorable settlement for plaintiff against former executives in actions for misappropriation of trade secrets and violation of non-compete agreements.
- Obtained favorable settlement for plaintiff prior to trial after defeating extensive pretrial motions in a breach of insurance contract and bad faith action. 2008 WL 905354 (S.D.Tex. 2008).
- Obtained favorable settlement for plaintiff in trademark/false advertising litigation involving power filtration technology.
- Obtained favorable settlement for a major oil company prior to trial in action against subsequent owners to recover expenses for clean-up costs of former refinery.
- Obtained favorable settlement for subcontractor in construction and products liability dispute regarding catalytic cracking unit installed in refinery.
- Obtained favorable settlement for principals in breach of agreement to fund investment in natural gas treatment project.
Memberships & Affiliations
- Board of Directors, Houston Racquet Club, 2011 to present
- Board of Directors, Secretary and General Counsel, Post Oak Little League, 2009 to 2014
- Board of Directors, Port Bay Club, Rockport, Texas, 2008 to 2013
Volunteer, Boy Scouts of America,
Merit Badge Counselor
- Volunteer, Be-A-Resource for CPS Kids
*Each case exists on its own merits and past success does not guarantee future results.
© 2015 All Rights Reserved.