Tel: (281) 501-3490
Fax: (832) 415-2535
Michael Collins has more than twenty-two years of experience as a litigator, the last seventeen of which have been primarily devoted to intellectual property matters. He has practiced law in large national firms as well as in a small nationally-recognized patent litigation boutique. In recent years, his practice has emphasized patent litigation while also continuing to represent clients in other types of intellectual property and technology litigation matters. He has litigated patent infringement actions in federal district courts throughout the country, including in the Eastern District of Texas. Mr. Collins also has substantial experience representing clients involved in disputes over the design and construction of large power plants and chemical manufacturing complexes.
Mr. Collins’ litigation experience encompasses a wide range of technologies, including semiconductors, consumer electronics, wireless telecommunications systems, software, web-based business methods, optics, building structures, medical devices, food processing, transportation, conventional and nuclear power, petrochemicals, industrial valves, combined cycle gas turbines, petrochemical catalyst handling methods, flywheel energy storage systems and oil and gas production equipment.
Prior to practicing law, Mr. Collins was a project engineer and project manager for Exxon Company U.S.A. and, later, for the M.W. Kellogg Company, managing projects ranging from oil and gas production facilities to a large ethylene manufacturing complex on the Texas Gulf Coast.
- J.D., cum laude, University of Houston Law Center, 1989 (Order of the Coif; Order of the Barons; Research Editor, Houston Law Review)
- Master of Mechanical Engineering, Rice University
- B.S. in Mechanical Engineering, Rice University
- Obtained significant monetary settlements for patent owners in recent cases involving DRAM chips, earthquake-resistant building systems, web-based business methods, flywheel energy storage systems, consumer electronics and medical imaging devices.
- Key member of a team that obtained a jury verdict of willful infringement and validity of patents involving PCI Express switch technology.
- Negotiated walk-away dismissal for defendant in patent infringement litigation involving foundation repair technology.
- Negotiated walk-away dismissal for defendant in patent infringement litigation involving software registration and activation technology.
- Won summary judgment of non-infringement for defendant in a patent infringement action involving petrochemical catalyst loading technology.
- Won summary judgment of infringement for inventor/patent owner in an action involving patents for ultrasound medical devices.
- Key member of a team that obtained a $34 million verdict for a large international engineering and construction company in litigation over the design and construction of a chemical manufacturing facility.
- Obtained a temporary injunction in Texas state court followed by a very favorable settlement for a Houston valve manufacturer in a trade secret misappropriation action against a foreign manufacturer and its domestic distributor.
- Obtained favorable settlement for a patent owner in an infringement action involving impingement oven technology employed in the food service industry.
- Represented a specialty food manufacturing company as a defendant in a lawsuit alleging misappropriation of trade secrets, fraud and deceptive trade practices. Won take nothing summary judgment on the trade secret counts and obtained a very favorable jury verdict on the remaining causes of action.
- State Bar of Texas
- Southern District of Texas
- Northern District of Texas
- Eastern District of Texas
- Central District of Illinois
Memberships & Affiliations
- State Bar of Texas
- Houston Bar Association
- Registered Professional Engineer (Texas) (Inactive)
- Fellow of the Houston Bar Foundation
- Fellow of the Texas Bar Foundation
© 2013 All Rights Reserved.