Tel: (713) 364-2371
Fax: (832) 415-2535
Steve Schlather is a patent lawyer and litigator. His clients range from small, start-up companies and individual inventors to large, multinational corporations. For more than 10 years, Steve has represented both plaintiffs and defendants under a variety of fee arrangements, including on an hourly, fixed-fee and contingent fee basis.
Recently, the majority of his cases are contingent-fee cases. Steve has a successful nationwide practice, including substantial experience in the federal courts in the Eastern District of Texas, District of Delaware and the Northern District of California. Steve represents clients in a wide range of intellectual property cases involving a diversity of technologies, including:
- Microprocessors and integrated circuits,
- Internet-based software & systems, both client-side and server-side,
- Oilfield equipment and chemicals;
- EDI software and systems;
- Medical implants, including cardiac stents;
- Embedded systems;
- Building materials;
- Wireless routers;
- RFID technology;
- Cable modems;
- Microsoft Windows operating systems, and
- Global-positioning systems.
Prior to joining Collins, Edmonds & Pogorzelski, Steve was a patent litigator at Susman Godfrey LLP in Houston.
For the past three years (2008-2010), Steve has been chosen as one of Houston's Top Lawyers by H Texas Magazine in the area of intellectual property law.
- Within six months of filing a patent infringement lawsuit related to RFID technology, Steve obtained a seven-figure settlement for his client.
- In a case relating to GPS technology, Steve was part of a team that obtained a favorable settlement on the second day of trial. The terms of the settlement are confidential.
- Steve was a key member of a team that obtained a jury verdict of infringement and validity and secured a permanent injunction against the defendants. The case later settled and the terms are confidential. Steve continues to represent the client in additional litigation on the same patent.
- Days before trial, Steve helped to favorably settle a computer software-related patent infringement and trade secret case against a major US software developer. The defendant agreed to license his clients patents and technology. The terms remain confidential.
- J.D. - South Texas College of Law, 1998
- B.S. - Chemistry, Southwestern University (Georgetown, Tx), 1992
Memberships and Recognitions
- State Bar of Texas
- Texas Bar Foundation - Fellow
- Houston Bar Association
- Houston Intellectual Property Law Society
- Houston's Best Lawyers - H Texas Magazine, 2008-2010
- Registered to practice before the United States Patent and Trademark Office
- Admitted to practice before the 5th Circuit Court of Appeals, and all Federal District Courts in the State of Texas (including the Eastern District of Texas)
© 2013 All Rights Reserved.